The Human Performance Lab operated by Appalachian State University at the North Carolina Research Campus provides high quality physical fitness tests to measure your aerobic fitness (heart-lung function), resting metabolic rate (calories you burn per day at rest), body composition (body fat percent), muscular fitness (strength), anaerobic power (short-term power), and anaerobic threshold testing for groups and individuals. These tests are being offered at the low cost designated below as a service to the community in the Kannapolis-Charlotte area (and beyond). To sign up (or to receive answers to questions) send an e-mail message to: ASU-NCRC@appstate.edu or call 704-250-5353.
We can do the entire Physical Fitness Test Battery at the cost of $125 per person. This battery includes:
- AerobicPowerTest: Treadmill-VO2max test, with speed and grade, increased until exhaustion. Oxygen consumption and ventilation measurement with a research-level metabolic cart. $80
- Anaerobic Power Test: 30-second Wingate cycle ergometer test. Cycle as hard as possible, with continuous measurement of anaerobic power. $40
- Body Composition and Estimated Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR): Assessment of percent body fat and calories burned at rest through the Bod Pod and Seca mBCA (research-level analysis of lean body mass, fat mass, and RMR). $40
- Muscular Strength: Leg-back strength, measured with a research dynamometer. $15
- Resting Metabolic Rate: a quick, non-invasive test that accurately measures how many calories you burn at rest. $40
In addition to the specific test, we include counseling sessions where a trained counselor will interpret your results at the end of your testing (comes with all assessments).
Find out the truth about your aerobic endurance, power, body fat percent, and strength. A trained counselor will help you understand the test results and improve aerobic and muscular fitness.
Download the Fitness Testing Program Flyer (PDF, 255.24KB)