1. Broman-Fulks J, Abraham C, Thomas K, Canu W, Nieman D. Anxiety sensitivity mediates the relationship between exercise frequency and anxiety and depression symptomology. Stress Health 2018;34:500-508.
2. Nieman DC, Goodman CL, Capps CR, Shue ZL, Arnot R. Influence of 2-weeks ingestion of high chlorogenic acid coffee on mood state, performance, and postexercise inflammation and oxidative stress: a randomized, placebo controlled trial. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2018;28:55-65.
3. Nieman DC, Capps CL, Capps CR, Shue ZL, McBride JE. Effect of four weeks ingestion of tomato-based carotenoids on exercise-induced inflammation, muscle damage, and oxidative stress in endurance runners. Int J Sports Nutr Exerc Metab 2018;28:266-273.
4. Nieman DC, Gillitt ND, Sha W, Esposito D, Ramamoorthy S. Metabolic recovery from heavy exertion following banana compared to sugar beverage or water only ingestion: a randomized, crossover trial. PLoS ONE 2018;13(3):e0194843.
5. Nieman DC, Lila MA, Gillitt ND. Immunometabolism: A multi-omics approach to interpreting the influence of exercise and diet on the immune system. Ann Rev Food Sci Tech 2019;10:341-363.
6. Nieman DC, Groen AJ, Pugachev A, Vacca G. Detection of functional overreaching in endurance athletes using proteomics. Proteomes 2018;6:33.
7. Nieman DC, Gillitt ND, Sha W. Identification of a targeted metabolomics panel for measuring metabolic perturbation in response to heavy exertion. Metabolomics 2018;14:147.
8. Castell LM, Nieman DC, Bermon S, Peeling P. Exercise-induced illness and inflammation: Can immunonutrition and iron help? Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2018 Dec 3:1-26.
9. Nieman DC, Wentz LM. The compelling link between physical activity and the body's defense system. J Sport Health Sci 2019:8:201-217.
10. Fraix M, Nieman DC, Dreibelbis R, Giusti R. Chapter 17: Energy Balance: Nutrition, Exercise and The Metabolic Model. In: Seffinger MA. Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine: Philosophy, Science, Clinical Applications, and Research 4th Edition, 2018.
11. Shi Y, Shi H, Nieman DC, Hu Q, Liu T, Li F, Wei H, Wu D, Cui Y, Chen P. Lactic acid accumulation during exhaustive exercise impairs release of neutrophil extracellular traps. Front Physiology 2019;10:709.
12. Nieman DC, Kay CD, Rathore AS, Grace MH, Strauch RC, Stephan EH, Sakaguchi CA, Lila MA. Increased plasma levels of gut-derived phenolics linked to walking and running following 2-weeks flavonoid supplementation. Nutrients 2018;10(11),1718.
13. Nieman DC, Gillitt ND, Zhang Q, Chen G-Y, Sakaguchi CA, Stephan EH. Carbohydrate intake attenuates post-exercise plasma levels of cytochrome P450-generated oxylipins. PLoS ONE 2019; 14(3): e0213676.
14. Wentz LM, Nieman DC, McBride JE, Warin RF, Williams LL, Gillitt ND. Carbohydrate intake does not counter the post-exercise decrease in natural killer cell cytotoxicity. Nutrients 2018; Nov 4;10(11), 1658.
15. Cao R, Teskey G, Islamoglu H, Gutierrez M, Salaiz O, Munjal S, Fraix MP, Sathananthan A, Nieman DC, Venketaraman V. Flavonoid mixture inhibits mycobacterium tuberculosis survival and infectivity. Molecules 2019;24:851.
16. Nieman DC, Kohlmeier M, Simonson A, Sakaguchi CA, Sha W, Blevins T, Hattabaugh J. Acute ingestion of a mixed flavonoid and caffeine supplement increases energy expenditure and fat oxidation in adult women: A randomized, crossover clinical trial. Nutrients. 2019 Nov 5;11(11):2665.
17. Nieman DC, Valacchi G, Wentz LM, Ferrara F, Woodby B, Sakaguchi CA, Simonson A. Mixed flavonoid supplementation attenuates post-exercise plasma levels of protein carbonyls and 4-hydroxynonenal protein adduct levels in endurance athletes. Int J Sports Nutr Exerc Metab 2020;30:112-119.
18. Knab AM, Nieman DC, Zingaretti LM, Groen AJ, Pugachev A. Proteomic profiling and monitoring of training distress and illness in university swimmers during a 25-week competitive season. Front Exerc Physiol 2020;11:373.
19. Dudgeon WD, Nieman DC, Kelley E. Chapter 43: Exercise, Inflammation, and Respiratory. Lifestyle Medicine (3rd edition). Rippe JM (ed.). Boca Raton: CRC Press, May 22, 2019.
20. Sakaguichi CA, Nieman DC, Signini EF, Abreu RM, Catai AM. Metabolomics-based studies assessing exercise-induced alterations of the human metabolome: a systematic review. Metabolites 2019;9(8).
21. Merritt EK, Nieman DC, Toone BR, Groen A, Pugachev A. Proteomic markers of non-functional overreaching during the Race Across America (RAAM): A case study. Front Physiol. 2019;10:1410.
22. Chen J, Hamm L, Bundy JD, Kumbala DR, Bodana S, Sehgal C, Chen C-S, Starcke CC, Guo Y, Schaefer CM, Lustigova E, Mohone E, Vadalia AM, Livingston T, Obst K, Hernandez J, Bokhari SR, Kleinpeter M, Apple BA, Lukitsch I, He H, Nieman DC, He J. Nitrite, IsoquerCetin, and Endothelial Dysfunction Trial (NICE trial): Design and preliminary data. CJASN (in press).
23. Nieman DC, Pence BD. Exercise Immunology: Future Directions. J Sport Health Sci 2020;9:432-445.
24. Simpson RJ, Campbell JP, Gleeson M, Krüger K, Nieman DC, Pyne DB, Turner JE, Walsh NP. Can exercise affect immune function to increase susceptibility to infection? Exerc Immunol Rev. 2020;26:8-22.
25. Shi Y, Liu T, Nieman DC, Cui Y, Li F, Yang L, Shi H, Chen P. Aerobic exercise attenuates acute lung injury through NET inhibition. Front Immunol. 2020 Mar 19;11:409.
26. Schader J, Haid M, Cecil A, Schoenfeld J, Halle M, Pfeufer A, Adamski J, Nieman DC, Scherr J. Metabolite shifts induced by marathon race competition differ between athletes based on level of fitness and performance – a substudy of the Enzy-MagIC study. Metabolites 2020;10:87.
27. Schoenfeld J, Schindler MJ, Haller B, Holdenrieder S, Nieman DC, Halle M, Gerche AL, Scherr J. Prospective long-term follow-up analysis of the cardiovascular system in marathon runners: study design of the Pro-MagIC Study. BMJ Open Sp Ex Med 2020;6:e000786.
28. Betts JA, Gonzalez JT, Burke LM, Close GL, Garthe I, James LJ, Jeukendrup AE, Morton JP, Nieman DC, Peeling P, Phillips SM, Stellingwerff T, van Loon LJC,
29. Williams C, Woolf K, Maughan RJ, Atkinson G. PRESENT 2020: Text expanding on the checklist for Proper Reporting of Evidence in Sport & Exercise Nutrition
30. Trials. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2020;in press.
31. 369. Sakaguchi CA, Nieman DC, Signini EF, de Abreu PM, Silva DC, Rehdher-Santos P, Carosio MGA, Maria RM, Dato CC, Venancio T, Gerreira AG, Catai AM.
32. Chronic influence of inspiratory muscle training at different intensities on the serum metabolome. Metabolites 2020;10:78.
33. Nieman DC, Groen AJ, Pugachev A, Simonson AJ, Polley K, James K, El-Khodor B, Varadharaj S, Hernández-Armenta C. Proteomics-based detection of immune dysfunction in an elite adventure athlete trekking across Antarctica. Proteomes 2020;8(1):4.
34. Nieman DC, Gillitt ND, Chen GY, Zhang Q, Sha W, Kay CD, Chandra P, Kay KL, Lila MA. Blueberry and banana consumption mitigate arachidonic, cytochrome p450 oxylipin generation during recovery from 75-km cycling: a randomized trial. Front Nutr 2020;7:121.
35. Hall CA, Richardson EJ, Broman-Fulks JJ, Canu WH, Nieman DC. Exercise frequency mediates the relation between anxiety sensitivity and emotion disorder symptomology. Sport Exerc Perf Psyc (under review).
36. Nieman DC, Ferrara F, Pecorelli A, Woodby B, Hoyle AT, Simonson A, Valacchi G. Post-Exercise inflammasome activation and IL-1β production mitigated by flavonoid supplementation in cyclists. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab (in press).
37. Nieman DC. COVID-19: A tocsin to our aging, unfit, corpulent, and immunodeficient society. J Sport Health Sci 2020; S2095-2546(20)30060-0.
38. Signini E, Nieman DC, Silva CD, Sakaguchi CA, Catai AM. Oxylipin response to acute and chronic exercise: a systematic review. Metabolites 2020;10:264.
39. Le Coutre J, Allison DB, Bassaganya-Riera J, Burlingame B, Brown AW, Dickson SL, van Eden W, Garssen J, Hontecillas R, Khoo SH, Knorr D, Kussman M, Magistretti PJ, Mehta T, Meule A Nieman DC, Rychlik M, Vogele C. Goals in nutrition Science 2015–2020. Front Nutr (in press).
40. Best TM, Roberts WO, Breslow RG, Denay KL, Turner M, Nieman DC. ACSM call to action statement: COVID-19: considerations for sports and physical activity. Curr Sports Med Rep 2020;19:326-328.
41. Ørtenblad N, Nielsen J, Gejl KD, Routledge HE, Morton JP, Close GL, Niemann DC, Bone JL, Burke LM. Comment on: "Changes in skeletal muscle glycogen content in professional soccer players before and after a match by a noninvasive MuscleSound® Technology. A cross sectional pilot study Nutrients 2020, 12(4), 971". Nutrients. 2020;12(7):E2070.
42. Nieman DC, Zwetsloot KA, Simonson AJ, Hoyle AT, Wang X, Nelson HK, Lefranc-Millot C, Guérin-Deremaux L. Effects of whey and pea protein supplementation on post-eccentric exercise muscle damage: a randomized trial. Nutrients 2020; 12(8), 2382.
43. Nieman DC, Valacchi G, Wentz LM, Ferrara F, Woodby B, Sakaguchi CA, Simonson A. Mixed flavonoid supplementation attenuates post-exercise plasma levels of protein carbonyls and 4-hydroxynonenal protein adduct levels in endurance athletes. Int J Sports Nutr Exerc Metab 2020;30:112-119.
44. Knab AM, Nieman DC, Zingaretti LM, Groen AJ, Pugachev A. Proteomic profiling and monitoring of training distress and illness in university swimmers during a 25-week competitive season. Front Exerc Physiol 2020;11:373.
45. Sakaguchi CA, Nieman DC, Signini EF, de Abreu PM, Silva DC, Rehdher-Santos P, Carosio MGA, Maria RM, Dato CC, Venancio T, Gerreira AG, Catai AM. Chronic influence of inspiratory muscle training at different intensities on the serum metabolome. Metabolites 2020;10:78.
46. Denay KL, Breslow RG, Turner MN, Nieman DC, Roberts WO, Best TM. ACSM Call to Action Statement: COVID-19 Considerations for Sports and Physical Activity. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2020 Aug;19(8):326-328.